爱上海EI

first_imgGovernor Wolf Issues Statement Supporting Attorney General Josh Shapiro’s Lawsuit Against Purdue Pharma May 14, 2019 Press Release,  Statement,  Substance Use Disorder Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf issued the following in response to the lawsuit filed by Attorney General Josh Shapiro against Purdue Pharma:“Purdue Pharma’s systematic process to build a customer base for OxyContin, as alleged by Attorney General Josh Shapiro, is appalling.“Through initiatives like the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, expanding treatment options, and the ongoing disaster declaration, we have begun to curb the number of deaths from overdoses and get more people on the road to recovery. But we are still facing years of struggle before we undo the harm caused by the opioid epidemic.“Purdue Pharma preyed on Pennsylvanians of all types, including the elderly and patients already struggling with opioid use disorder. By creating a revolving door clientele that endlessly sought an increasing amount of opioids prescribed by doctors who were deliberately fed misinformation by Purdue Pharma, this deplorable company contributed to a crisis that has negatively impacted the lives of all Pennsylvanians.“I support Attorney General Shapiro’s efforts to ensure that Purdue Pharma is held accountable for its role in creating and worsening this public health crisis.”View more information on the Wolf Administration’s efforts to fight the opioid epidemic, including his opioid disaster declaration.center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

first_img Press Association Everton’s new record signing Romelu Lukaku insists he owes Chelsea a debt of gratitude but feels Goodison Park is the best place for him to become a better footballer. “I don’t have hard feelings against Chelsea. They gave me the opportunity to come to England and gave me high hopes of playing football,” he said. “I trained with world-class players and worked under world-class managers and without them I wouldn’t be here. “But last year was a very good year and after a short period of time I had the feeling it was the best place to grow as a young footballer. “The manager has been very influential. He is someone who knows football, someone who can develop me as a player and make us better as a team – and that is something I need as a young footballer. “I needed to be in the place where it felt right and here I have the confidence of all the technical staff, the trust of the supporters as well and I can grow and develop. “I have a very good relationship with the players and staff so for me this is the place where I belong.” Martinez said the deal, which eclipses the £15million deal for Lukaku’s compatriot Marouane Fellaini when he moved from Standard Liege in 2006, had been almost a year in the planning. But the successful completion meant the club had sent out a strong message. The 21-year-old Belgium international completed a club-record transfer deal of £28million after signing a five-year contract with the Toffees. Lukaku, who played just 15 times in three years at Stamford Bridge, spent last season on loan at Everton and that was a decisive factor in him choosing to make the move permanent as he felt he received the support and belief which was lacking at Chelsea. “It is not just one of those important days for the season but it is a very significant day in the history of our football club,” said Martinez. “The feeling in the dressing room was to get him back on a permanent basis to get some continuity and grow into a very successful team. “That is why we are so delighted. It is not something which has happened overnight, there has been a lot of work and support from the chairman and the board has been very important in being able to see Rom back at the club. “It is fair to say Romelu was our number one target to bring in and the pursuit was relentless but it had to be a record transfer and it is worth every single penny and effort we put behind it. “At 21 he has already scored over 30 goals in the Premier League and in my eyes the target is for him to become one of the best world-class strikers. “To have a footballer of Rom’s calibre on a permanent basis it means there had to be a lot of long-term planning and work behind the scenes but, more importantly, his potential his huge.” Lukaku admitted he had an inkling in Everton’s final match of last season he would be returning. “For me I decided very quickly I wanted to come back here because it was a good step for me,” said the striker. “Expectations for myself are very high but when you have a manager who wants to push you and the team it is a perfect environment for a young player to grow. “I am 21, it is time to have a stable career as well so it was important to be somewhere where you are there to win titles. “I think I can improve in every aspect of the game. My goalscoring record says a lot but if I want to win titles I have to get better in everything.” Meanwhile, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes the deal is good for all concerned. He told a press conference in Holland televised by Sky Sports News: “He wanted to play for Chelsea but wanted to be the first-choice striker. That’s very difficult to promise. “Everton made an important offer and financial fair play is something that is always behind the thoughts of the board…this leaves Chelsea in a great position. “The important thing is he’s happy and things work well for him, he’s a good kid.” Lukaku admits he did not have any contact with Mourinho immediately before his departure. “I spoke with my agent and then from that moment on I left it up to him as I was on holiday,” he said. “I made my decision and then didn’t speak too much about it.” Asked whether he had spoken to the Portuguese at all, he added: “No – I think he was busy with the game tonight (against Vitesse Arnhem). “Things happen and sometimes it’s not meant to be. Chelsea is a big club and sometimes it is difficult for young players to come through. “I want to have a good career and I didn’t want to spend 10 years on the bench, I wanted to make the best out of every year. “This is a club with a lot of ambition and the right place to be. “You don’t have to have regrets in football. Choices have to be made. “Mr Martinez will be one of the top managers in the world and for me to work under him now is the best thing that could happen for me.” last_img read more

first_imgOlawale Ajimotokan in AbujaD’Tigress of Nigeria have continued to bask in the euphoria of their 2017 Women Afrobasket victory with a solemn declaration that their triumph has finally ended the domination of Senegal over them as the standard benchmark of basketball for women in Africa.The Nigerian ladies remarkably won all eight matches at the campaign in Bamako, Mali and capped it all with a double over continental powerhouse, Senegal. They defeated the Lionesses 48-44 in Group B match and capped it with another win in the final to secure their third continental title since 2003 and 2005.Nkechi Akashili and Sarah Ogoke summed up the upbeat mood when the team was hosted in Abuja upon arrival from Mali.“For sure, we have ended Senegal domination over us in continental basketball. They have dominated us for ages and after we surged past Mali in the semi-final, we resolved to beat Senegal to prove a point, and we did that we actualized in the final. The way forward is for the board to put in camp in time for the World Championship in Spain. We need to train more together so that we can forge a better understand of ourselves. The better when we stay together,” said Akashili of First Bank basketball teamHer position was echoed by teammate, Ogoke, who plays for Real Club, Celta Vigo of Spain.The US-born guard, described the Afrobasket win as a new dawn for female basketball in Nigeria, stressing that they now want to rule the continent for many years to come.“What I believe is that when your preparation is good, success will follow. it was not easy but we were able to accomplish it. Senegal used to be our bogey team, our biggest rival. But we have broken their jinx. It is the new era for Nigeria. We had a lot of new players and better players with experience. It’s just the beginning for us,” Ogoke said.She attributed their impressive outing to the superb coaching and tactics of the coaches led by Sam Vincent, in addition to a crop of players that refused to lose.“The next target is the World Championship. But we just have to put our house in order and improve this team and achieve our goal of a top four finish in Spain. We have to work towards that,’’ she said.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

first_imgPlanned strike– Union pushes for mass protestBy Shemuel FanfairTeachers on Monday expressed great frustration over their current wages and are demanding that union members let their voices be heard on the streets come September 3; the day public schools are scheduled to reopen. This call was made at a meeting held at the Guyana Teachers’ Union (GTU) headquarters in Woolford Avenue, Thomas Lands, Georgetown, where Union executives reiterated their position that the August 27 strike action remains in place. Members heard that teachers on the Essequibo Coast, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam); Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) and in Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) are ready to shut down schools when the opening day arrives.“Come September 3, 2018, we teachers need to be somewhere because theThe Guyana Teachers Union, Woolford Avenue headquarters was packed to capacity where many teachers called for mass protests (Shemuel Fanfair photo)Ministry’s education officials will go out and do their regular follow-up exercises,” one male teacher remarked during the meeting with hundreds of teachers on Monday.“Are we going to turn up to school and not teach or is there a place that we can go and picket and say what we have to say and come out in our numbers and be heard,” another queried of her colleagues.As the session continued, a female shouted that her fellow teachers should gather on the school opening date: “I want us to get our placards and decide where are going and go!” she exclaimed.The teachers came out in a large contingent at the GTU meeting and stridently expressed that they are fully on board with the strike action. Another engagement with teachers was held at Enmore, East Coast Demerara, on Monday afternoon. GTU President Mark Lyte, surrounded by executives, held on to the 40 per cent increase teachers are asking for and said Government’s $700 million ball-park figure would account for 2018 only. He said too that the GTU wants a 2016-2020GTU Mark Lyte makes a point to teachers at Enmore, East Coast Demerara (Dexter Ceres photo)deal which comes despite Government’s position that it could only give what it can afford.“We have not heard from the President, but we are still hoping to hear from [him] because he said, ‘I’m going to put a task force together’… the task force recommended on top of the 2015 salary, 40 per cent; not any ball-park figure,” the union President expressed.The teachers shouted a unified “no!” when President Lyte asked them if they could be replaced by substitutes. This was in reference to Education Minister Nicolette Henry indicating that arrangements are in place should the strike situations become extensive. She cited an Internal Standard Operational Procedure (SoP), which speaks to measures Government would implement if teachers are absent, such as temporary workers to fill the gaps. However, one union representative, Stacy Benjamin questioned if such a move would be practical since teachers would often dive into their own pockets to fund classroom materials and towards meals for those who are in need.Some of the teachers while supporting the strike, expressed fear of victimisation and salary cuts but Lyte later on told reporters that he was set to meet with an attorney in this regard as the union seeks to solidify its legal standing. On teacher suggested that the union files a High Court injunction to prevent Government fromAnother section of teachers at the meeting on Mondaycutting salaries as they have a “right to strike”.A popular teacher, “Sir Mars”, in exuberant and vociferous fashion, said he is prepared to “go to the end” to advocate for the teachers’ cause. Mars concurred with Government coalition partner, the Working People’s Alliance (WPA) when it said last week that the Administration going against teachers was tantalum to “political suicide”.Another teacher asked what would happen if the matter goes to arbitration, but the Union representatives pointed out that if this stage is not successful, the matter will be taken to a tribunal. Former Education Minister, Dr Henry Jeffrey told <<<>>> on Saturday that the GTU should request arbitration to help bring the matter to a possible conclusion. Government and the GTU have been talking for three years but those talks broke down last week.Lyte had noted that the GTU outright rejected Government’s request for teachers to agree to a debunching payoff of $200 million for 2018/19. He said the Union similarly rejected the $700 million cap that was placed on salary increases; Government also wants the clothing allowance to remains at $8000, a figure which Lyte said was given in 2011. He said too that for Whitley Council Leave, teachers still have to wait four years before getting their one month off even though the GTU appealed for three years.The Union has 7000 members but the union President at the time when reporters questioned him on Monday could not confirm if the Union could pay the teachers’ salaries if Government were to make deductions for absenteeism. The GTU has however invited non-unionised members to take part in the industrial action.last_img read more