The Lions number eight led the Springboks to victory over France in the first two Tests after being named as captain by Allister Coetzee last month.Whiteley missed the win over Les Bleus in the third Test last Saturday, though, after doing damage during the warm-up at Ellis Park.Coetzee revealed after his side sealed a whitewash over Guy Noves’ men that his skipper would discover the extent of his injury on Monday and it was confirmed on Tuesday that he faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines with damaged ligaments.”We expect to rehabilitate him in six to eight weeks,” Lions team doctor Rob Collins said.South Africa start their Rugby Championship campaign against Argentina in Port Elizabeth on August 19.Photo: Getty Images (Warren Whiteley)
Super League chief executive Robert Elstone says an agreement has been reached with Betfred – one of the UK’s biggest betting companies. Gambling is considered ‘haram’ or forbidden in Islam, along with other practices like drinking alcohol. Williams converted from Christianity to Islam in 2009 and was the first Muslim to play for the All Blacks. “I think the matter has been resolved in satisfactory fashion,” said Elstone. “I have say a big ‘thank you’ to Betfred for the way they’ve managed this.”We suspected it might be an issue, but it only really surfaced five or six days ago, and Betfred have taken it on, considered it and come up with the right answer, and one that works for all parties.”I’m really pleased they showed a progressive, pragmatic approach to this.”Last year, the Super League extended its sponsorship deal with Betfred for a further two seasons, worth an estimated £1m (NZ$1.98m) a year. But that figure is nothing compared to Williams’ contract, reportedly worth £5m (NZ$10m) over two years. Williams has refused to wear a sponsor’s logo on a jersey before. In 2017, Williams covered up the Bank of New Zealand logo on his Blues top, with permission from NZ Rugby. He taped over the bank’s logo on his collar in his debut and a new jersey was soon created, sporting a Plunket logo in its place.Meanwhile, Wolfpack chairman Bob Hunter has confirmed the dual-code international has given equity in the club.”He was offered, as part of his package, a significant number of shares in the parent organisation and the intent long term is to take that whole company public,” Hunter said.”You don’t know whether that’s worth a dollar a share or $10 a share. The market, at some point, will tell you what they think it’s worth, but it’s significant.”Williams missed the Wolfpack’s lone pre-season game earlier this week, but is set to feature in their season-opener on February 2 against the Castleford Tigers. In mid-February, he will then return to New Zealand for the birth of his fourth child.
Toea Wisil led the way on Saturday by equalling her national record in the 200m with a time of 23.46 seconds and followed this up with a fast 100m of 11.49 on Sunday. Donna Koniel was also in fine form, recording another high quality personal best of 2min 08.77 seconds in a very good 800m race where she was just pipped to the line by New Zealander Olivia Burdon.Nelson Stone clocked his best times of the year in both the 100m (10.77) and 400m (47.81)A series of personal best times were achieved in the sprint events with Adrine Monagi leading the way with a big personal best 12.11 secs in the 100m and 25.18secs in the 200m.Monagi, who has established herself as the gold medal favourite in the seven event heptathlon, has improved consistently throughout the year.Seventeen year old Charles Livuan clocked times of 10.97 in the 100m and 21.76 in the 200m.They all arrive in Port Moresby on Friday in time for the opening ceremony on Saturday.
PNG finished in a draw 2-2 today against Fiji who are also through to the semi-finals for group B.Giada’s goals added two more points to her tally on the Golden Boot rankings.The Morobean opened the score board goaling from behind and finishing neatly in the corner 30 minutes into the match.Fiji struggled in the first half but failed to score which left the score 1-0 at half time.A silly mistake from PNG three minutes into the second half saw Fiji level the score 1-1 when PNG put one into their own net after a cross came through.PNG bounced back to extend its lead 66 minutes into the game 2-1 when Giada scored her second goal as she chipped past Fiji’s Francine Lockington and found the net.Fiji made a comeback in the 84th minute, scoring through Ceme Nasau to level the score 2-2 at full time.New Zealand and New Caledonia have made it through to the semi-final in Group A.
Dani González (Madrid, 8-7-1972) goes on to lead the first team of Atlético Femenino. It will until the end of the season. González is the third coach Madrid will have this season after the resignation of Sánchez Vera and the dismissal yesterday of Pablo López. The rojiblanco club receives Barcelona next Saturday with nine points of disadvantage. Four draws in the last seven games have precipitated the cessation of Pablo López, who took over the team just three months ago. The last prick in Seville was the trigger for a new change in front of the red and white bench. González is a man of the house.He made his debut as a player of Atlético’s first men’s team during the 95-96 season. After his retirement, in 2010 he returned to the entity to become part of the Academy, where he has been occupying different positions and has been going through several departments. He has directed several football teams and will now have the opportunity to lead one of the club’s referents. “I take it as an important personal challenge. I have been performing functions in the club for years. Now this opportunity presents itself to me as a club man that I am. The challenge is there and we will work 100% to try to make the best of all the players. We want to see a strong and competitive team and see the name of Atlético de Madrid at the top as it has been happening in recent years, ”said Dani González on the Atlético website.
Atlético has the casualties, in addition to Trippier, from Arias, Giménez, Koke and Diego Costa. That is, everything points to Vrsaljko will start again on the right side. He already entered the eleven against Leganés, after a year without playing for a serious knee injury he was operated on. To complete the call has included three youth players: Manu Sánchez, Toni Moya Y Camel. However, he will have to make two discards before the match.First messageThe Belgian has published a post in Instagram after his return to Atlético de Madrid. The Belgian accompanied the picture of him dressed in red and white with a soccer ball with a message: “I am very happy to return home. With great desire and enthusiasm to put on the shirt of Atlético de Madrid and give everything for these colors! Aúpa Atleti !! “ Yannick Carrasco it is the great novelty of the call of the Athletic for this Saturday’s derby (4pm) before the Madrid. The Belgian is part of the list of 20 players of Simeone, from which it has fallen Trippier. The Briton, suffering from a pubalgia, has not finally found himself fit to play and has been left out.Cholo also recovers Lemar, which has not played since December 22. First he left out a muscle injury and before Leganés was low by gastroenteritis. When it was intuited that he could leave the team before the close of the market, it is finally one of the novelties to go to the Bernabeu.
How to save all the movement? Reducing expenses, there is no other. And that’s why, during yesterday’s assembly, the Serie A teams already discussed about suspending payments to footballers for the month of March. Damiano Tommasi, president of AIC, the Italian association of footballers, opened the doors to negotiate (“Footballers are the first ones interested in maintaining the system”), but asked for calm, since it is not yet known if the season will be suspended, and above all he recalled that each player will have to decide individually: “We cannot compel anyone.”So, according to ‘Il Giornale’, Inter CEO Beppe Marotta contacted several European clubs to propose the same strategy in this matter: both Barcelona and Real Madrid, for the Italian newspaper, would have already given their approval. The idea would be cut 30% of footballers’ salaries, which in this way would renounce their payments for March, April, May and June. The negotiation would be complicated, long and hard, but nobody wants to get there: the hope is that it can be played again. But that, to this day, no one can assure. Serie A clubs are seriously considering cutting footballers’ salaries due to the coronavirus emergency. At this time it is impossible to imagine a return date for the championships: at best, football could be played again in the first 10 days of May, with competitions ending before June 30.If not, there are two scenarios. First He plans to extend the season until July, something that would entail modifying all contracts already expired on the 30th, including transfers, in order to continue to have all the players until the tournaments are over. Many Calcio footballers and their representatives, as AS learned, have already given the go-ahead to that option. But the other case is more complicated.If the emergency is still serious in May, it will be necessary to consider permanently suspending all the championships. For Serie A, the economic prejudice would be enormous: around 800 million euros, perhaps more. Many clubs have already invested the money they expected from television rights, which with this scenario would no longer arrive for the last stretch of the season.
HOBART, Australia (AP):Fast bowler James Pattinson will replace the injured Mitchell Starc in Australia’s team for the first Test against the West Indies beginning tomorrow (this evening Jamaica time).Australia captain Steve Smith said yesterday that Pattinson, Josh Hazlewood and Peter Siddle will form the hosts’ pace attack. Pattinson, who returns for his first Test since March 2014, edged out Nathan Coulter-Nile, who will be 12th man.Starc sustained stress fracture in his right foot in the final Test against New Zealand and will not play in any of the three Tests against the West Indies. The teams play the second Test beginning December 26 in Melbourne and conclude the series in Sydney from January 3.”I think he has played enough. He has been bowling really well; he deserves his chance,” Smith said of Pattinson. “He just needs to go out and do what he does well. He is similar to Hazlewood, the way he bowls. Hopefully, those two can lead the attack well.”Smith said the Australian batting order would remain the same despite speculation that wicketkeeper Peter Nevill would replace all-rounder Mitch Marsh at No. 6.NATURAL GAME”He’s there to do a job, to score runs for the team,” Smith said of Marsh. “Hopefully, he plays his natural game.”Cricket fans in Hobart have shown lacklustre interested in the match, with just over 15,000 tickets sold for the first four days. The Tasmanian capital has hosted 11 Tests since its first against Sri Lanka in 1989, with the average attendance about 21,000.Line-ups: Australia: David Warner, Joe Burns, Steve Smith (captain), Adam Voges, Shaun Marsh, Mitchell Marsh, Peter Nevill, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood.West Indies: Jason Holder (captain), Kragg Brathwaite, Devandra Bishoo, Jermaine Blackwood, Carlos Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Rajendra Chandrika, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shai Hope, Denesh Ramdin, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Jerome Taylor, Jomel Warrican.
Orville ClarkeGleaner WriterGrade one horses hold centre stage for the first time at Caymanas Park this season in the annual renewal of Eileen Cliggott Memorial Trophy, 1300 metres, contested by seven starters.Among them is the reigning champion sprinter, POKER STAR, who bids for his fourth consecutive win in his first attempt in grade one company, with four-time champion Omar Walker riding for 15-time champion trainer Wayne DaCosta.POKER STAR can expect what amounts to his stiffest test from main rivals UPPA TUNE, with top weight of 57.0kg, PHINEAS and the consistent CAMPESINO. Despite this, the classy four-year-old gelding looks the type to follow.POKER STAR has been so progressive in recent months that he is on course to win his fourth consecutive trophy race from the convenient mark of 54.0kg. The son of Liquidity-Buyabook has twice won over this trip in very fast times, clocking 1:17.3 on the first occasion in May of last year and 1:17.2 on October 17.After winning the Caribbean Sprint Championship, 1200 metres, in a fast time on November 14, slamming CAMPESINO by three lengths, he duly completed a hat-trick of wins in the St Catherine Cup, open allowance, feature over 1100 metres on January 2, holding off CAMPESINO by three-quarter length in the fairly good time of 1:05.2.That performance would suggest that the Philip Feanny-trained CAMPESINO is fast catching up to POKER STAR, but I believe he was flattered by his proximity to POKER STAR. A bigger danger comes in the form of Harry Parsard’s American seven-year-old horse, UPPA TUNE (Shane Ellis up), who is consistent and versatile as they come.Since finishing 10th to SEEKING MY DREAM in the rich Diamond Mile on December 5, UPPA TUNE has looked his old self at exercise in preparation for this race, galloping five-and- a-half furlongs in a brisk 1:06.3 by 1:00.1 on February 7 and 1:13.3 for six furlongs a week later.The big question is: Can UPPA TUNE successfully allow a rising star 3.0 kg at this stage?I doubt it.Other firm fancies on the 12-race programme are SPORTING CLAY and BURNING MEDIC in the respective sections of the Long Shot Trophy, in which PRINCE O’SHAUN and ALEXANDER are respective dangers. I also like down-in-class ITALIANO to romp the fourth; BIG DATA in the fifth; NOLAN HILL in the seventh; and the champion two-year-old of 2015, FUTURE KING, to win the overnight allowance mile for the Walker/DaCosta team.
Pakistan’s coach Younis quits ISLAMABAD (AP): Waqar Younis has quit as Pakistan coach only a day after Shahid Afridi stepped down as Twenty20 captain. Pakistan lost three group matches at the World Twenty20 and made an early exit from the tournament in India. Younis, who was national coach for 19 months, says “unfortunately I couldn’t give the result which the nation was expecting.” Younis had three months before his contract with the PCB was due to expire, but he quit after meeting with the Pakistan Cricket Board officials in Lahore on Monday. Setback for WCup stadium MOSCOW (AP): The official completion date of Sochi’s stadium for the 2018 World Cup has slipped back five months to November, the second such delay for a Russian World Cup venue in the last week. Regional sports minister Lyudmila Chernova announced the delay in comments to the state-run Tass agency, but did not give any explanations. The Fisht stadium hosted the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2014 Winter Olympics, but has needed lengthy construction work to convert it for football and expand its capacity to over 47,000. Last Friday, Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said the St Petersburg stadium had fallen three months behind schedule but would still open by the end of the year. Sammy Stadium CASTRIES, St Lucia (CMC): West Indies T20 cricket captain Darren Sammy yesterday expressed his delight at the decision of the St Lucia government to rename the Beausejour Cricket Ground, after him following the exploits of the regional team in the just-concluded T20 World Cup in India. Sammy, along with fellow St Lucian, Johnson Charles, returned to a hero’s welcome at the Hewanorra International Airport, where they were greeted by Prime Minister Dr Kenny Anthony and other St Lucians. “Big-time reception, homecoming,” Charles said in a video posted on Facebook, while Sammy said Anthony had announced that the island’s premier cricketing ground will now be known as the Darren Sammy National Cricket Stadium. “To God be the glory,” Sammy said, adding “I am truly honoured, I am humbled and bless. Thank you, we always know St Lucians love their own and the love and respect and admiration I have just received at the airport, oh my God, thank you very much.” Giorgi turns down Italy call-up ROME (AP): Camila Giorgi has turned down a call-up to Italy’s Fed Cup team for its World Group playoff against Spain, choosing to compete in qualifying for a tournament in Stuttgart, Germany, instead. The 48th-ranked Giorgi announced last week that she was cutting off ties with the Italian Tennis Federation – apparently because the federation insisted she play Fed Cup. Italy captain Corrado Barazzutti called her up anyhow for the April 16-17 series. Giorgi had until Monday to confirm her call-up and the federation announced yesterday that 72nd-ranked Karin Knapp was taking Giorgi’s place on the team, which also includes Roberta Vinci, Sara Errani and Francesca Schiavone. Giorgi is currently playing in Katowice, Poland, where she beat Aliaksandra Sasnovich of Belarus 6-4, 6-4 in the first round yesterday.