Miriam Grossman MD 13 February 2013Where I worked, reparative therapy was taboo; its existence was never acknowledged. On a politically charged hot potato scale of 1 to 10, this issue was a 12.The mental health establishment says sexual orientation doesn’t change in the direction of heterosexuality. Reparative therapy can be dangerous, it warns; a resolution condemning it had nearly passed. What about ex-gays -the men and women who claim to have succeeded? They are deceiving themselves.At the same time, a small, respectable group of professionals contend that change is possible, and a vocal community of ex-gays says their lives give testimony to that. I’d read compelling interviews, and seen a picture of them picketing the national meetings of psychiatrists and psychologists, carrying signs that say “I DO exist”.http://www.miriamgrossmanmd.com/gay-or-straight-when-others-decide-for-you-part-one/
International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said last week the Tokyo Olympics could be “a unique milestone for the entire world” noting they “will be the first worldwide gathering after coronavirus.” But Bach warned that the unprecedented health situation meant multiple scenarios were being considered in planning the format for Tokyo. He said the scenario of holding the Games without spectators was one that had been examined, although he stressed that he was opposed to the idea. Loading… Read Also: Chelsea outplay Man Utd to secure place in FA Cup final The telephone survey conducted by Kyodo News obtained responses from 1,045 people. The Asahi poll published over the weekend obtained 2,097 responses in a telephone survey on Saturday and Sunday. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Just one in four people in Japan want to see the coronavirus-delayed Tokyo Games held next year, with most backing either further delay or a cancellation, a new poll shows. Only 23.9 percent of respondents in the three-day nationwide poll published Sunday said they wanted to see the 2020 Games held next year. The survey carried out by Kyodo news agency found 36.4 percent of respondents back a further delay of the Games, while 33.7 think the flagship event should be cancelled altogether. Most of those backing a delay or cancellation said they simply didn’t believe the pandemic could be contained in time for the Games, now scheduled to open on July 23, 2021. A separate survey carried out over the weekend by the Asahi Shimbun newspaper found 33 percent of respondents backed holding the Games next year, with 61 percent supporting another postponement or cancellation. Tokyo 2020 was postponed in March as the coronavirus spread across the globe, marking the worst disruption to the Olympics since two editions were cancelled during World War II. The nationwide polls echo a separate survey carried out last month of Tokyo residents, which found just over half of respondents backed either further delay or cancellation. Japanese and Olympic officials have made clear that a further postponement is not on the table. But concerns are rising in Japan about a new wave of infections, with the capital Tokyo registering record numbers of daily new cases in recent days. Promoted Content8 Best 1980s High Tech Gadgets7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny20 Completely Unexpected Facts About ‘The Big Bang Theory’7 Reasons It’s Better To Be A Vegan7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better10 Phones That Can Easily Fit In The Smallest Pocket10 Most Evil Female Characters In Disney Movies10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All Time
Loic Remy insists Chelsea remain well placed to pursue silverware on four fronts despite a mixed festive period. Remy believes that now Chelsea have negotiated a mini slump, they can continue chasing multiple trophies. “It will be hard but we want to win every competition. That’s where the mentality and quality of the squad can make the difference. Every player has to be ready,” Remy told Standard Sport. “The mood is really positive. We are still focused on all the targets. Every team will be in trouble at some time and I hope ours is behind us now with the last two games. “There is no problem inside the camp, the players are still happy at training. We have shown everyone that we can react after two bad results. “Was our confidence badly affected by what happened at Tottenham? No. We are still in first and top of the League. We have qualified for the next round of the FA Cup, so there is no point to be negative or anything like that. “We just try to be a strong squad because a lot of things can happen in the season. We are just focussed on winning games.” Jose Mourinho’s team still top the Barclays Premier League but a lead that once numbered eight points has been reeled in by Manchester City, with a draw at Southampton and a 5-3 defeat at Tottenham over Christmas weakening their position. A 3-0 victory over Watford on Sunday has secured passage into the fourth round of the FA Cup, but it took the second-half arrival of Diego Costa and Willian to ignite a flat performance. Press Association
(REUTERS) – The coronavirus pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’s burgeoning career but he remains philosophical about the current tennis shutdown.The world number six would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend but was postponed to September.While he is missing life on Tour, Tsitsipas believes the lockdown has given the planet a breath.“I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year – it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for ‘At Home With Babsi’ on Eurosport’s Instagram page.“I think it will be environmentally very beneficial. Life is such a hustle, and you never get the time to spend with your family and connect with them.“Now it’s an opportunity to do so. It takes me back to when I was a young kid and I didn’t travel so much then.”With professional tennis unlikely to return before early August, at the earliest, Tsitsipas says the hardest thing has been training without an end goal.“I practise every day, of course I don’t put 100% in but at the same time I’m planning on gradually getting better,” the 21-year-old said.“It’s a process, it’s tricky – you have so much time in front of you and you don’t know when things are going to get back to normal. Right now, I am taking it easy, I’m not pushing myself to the limit and I’m not resting.“There is a good contrast in-between the two.”It was at last year’s French Open that Tsitsipas was tipped to make his Grand Slam breakthrough but lost out in an epic battle with former champion Stan Wawrinka in the last 16.Tsitsipas said that defeat still plays on his mind.“I felt heartbroken. It was difficult one to get over and I felt I was really close,” he said.Tsitsipas admired American great Pete Sampras, who also had Greek parentage.“Pete Sampras was one of my idols. My dad used to watch all of his matches and he was a big fan,” he said.“I got to meet him at Indian Wells a few years ago which was an astonishing experience. His game style was unique, amazing serve and volley game and he also has a Greek heritage of course.“He was a great athlete and the guy I believe revolutionised the one-handed backhand.”
Practice had finished Thursday, and Wisconsin men’s hockey coach Mike Eaves had still not decided which of his three goalies would start either game of the season-opening series against Northern Michigan Friday and Saturday.He did say that he would decide before settling in for a good night’s sleep Thursday night. The decision is a tough one due to the fact that the Badgers are entering the season with three goaltenders that have never played a collegiate hockey game.“I think all three of those guys are capable of playing, and whoever gets the opportunity, we are hoping they step up and play well,” junior defenseman John Ramage said.Inexperience is one of the biggest weaknesses the Badgers and Wildcats have in common heading into this opening weekend series.“They are a lot like us,” Eaves said. “They are very young. They have 15 underclassmen and we have 20. It’s tough to really know what we are going to get by on watching video because last year there was different chemistry, different people; so we are looking for tendencies in our pre-scout but not putting a lot of stock in it. We are going to be more focused on what we need to do.”One of the most intriguing matchups headed into Friday will be Northern Michigan’s offense versus Wisconsin’s star-studded defense.The Wildcats return their top three goal scorers from a year ago in Tyler Gron, Justin Florek and Andrew Cherniwchan. Gron led Northern Michigan with 17 goals as a junior and was an impressive force on the power play unit, notching seven power play goals.Trying to contain the Wildcat attack will be captain and fourth-round NHL draft pick Ramage and two All-American defensemen, Justin Schultz and Jake Gardiner.“Our defensive corps is very good, and I think we are confident in each other,” Ramage said. “I think our experience back there is going to help out our team a lot.”The Badgers’ stellar defensive line will be what Eaves is depending on to hide the mistakes he is sure his young team will make.“That first game, you are not quite sure what to expect,” Eaves said. “The one thing that will be there is high energy, but that high energy also tends to cause big mistakes too.”“Youthful mistakes, we are going to see them; we are going to live with them. We are going to see great moments from them because they have some talent. We are just going to see some youthful mistakes and you hope that you can cover them up and recover from them, and hopefully the guys can learn from them and move forward quickly.”Despite its youth, Wisconsin begins the year ranked No. 17 in the USCHO.com poll and No. 18 in the USA Today poll based on the receiving votes category (the poll only officially ranks the top 15).The Badgers are hoping that opening the season at home, where they are 2-2 in season openers under Eaves, will propel them to a fast start.“I remember my first weekend; you kind of get everything out of you,” sophomore forward Mark Zengerle said. “You are kind of nervous and don’t know what to expect, really. Especially in our own building, it’s going to be really exciting for them because [the young players] haven’t played in here yet. It’s a pretty special place to play, so it will be pretty big for them.”Zengerle led the Badgers in assists last season with 31, but looks to help improve an offense that may be taking a back seat to a defense with so many big names. Zengerle only scored five goals last year and said he put in lots of extra time in the offseason to make sure his scoring totals rise in 2011. He stressed that it falls on the offense to keep the puck away from whoever is in goal for Wisconsin.“We have to go out there and play our game,” Zengerle said. “It’s going to be the first two games of the year and we’re going to be in our own building, so we are going to have a lot of momentum and be really excited to go. Hopefully, we are going to be playing in their zone and not our zone.”With so much youth and excitement and a relative unknown of what is to come for the Badgers this season, Eaves says the fun is just about to start.“I want to see these guys under the gun, see what they can do when the game lights are on and the pressure is on,” Eaves said. “Now we start to reform a file about them in terms of what they can do, what they have and from there it’s how they evolve, and that is the fun part.”
Today’s other game is at Anfield, where Liverpool’s renewed fine form will be tested by the visit of Crystal Palace. Leaders Manchester City make the trip to Aston Villa for a half-one kick-off. Then at 4, it’s the North London derby meeting of Arsenal and Tottenham. The Gunners were hammered by Bayern Munich in the Champions League in mid-week, but Arsene Wenger doesn’t feel that game will affect his side today.
The United National Refugee Agency (UNHCR), has welcomed a landmark decision by Haiti and Spain to join international agreements to counter statelessness – a situation faced by millions of people deprived of basic rights because they are not considered as nationals by any State.We applaud Spain and Haiti for taking this big step and choosing to offer hope for a brighter future to people who will now have access to basic rights that most of us take for granted,” Volker Türk, UNHCR’s Assistant High Commissioner for Protection, said.Haiti’s decision to accede to the 1954 Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons and the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness was marked formally at an event here on the sidelines of the annual UN General Assembly on Friday .Spain, which was already party to the 1954 Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons, adhered to the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness on 25 September. The country also established a national statelessness status determination procedure in 2001 and has amended its legislation to help avoid new statelessness cases.According to the UNHCR, statelessness can occur for several reasons, including discrimination against particular ethnic or religious groups, or on the basis of gender; the emergence of new States, transfers of territory between existing States and gaps in nationality laws. Whatever the cause, statelessness has serious consequences for people in almost every country and in all regions of the world.UNHCR in 2014 launched the #IBelong Campaign and the Global Action Plan to End Statelessness: 2014-2024 to raise global awareness about statelessness and support efforts around the world to end it. This action by Haiti and Spain brings to 20 the number of new accessions to the UN Statelessness Conventions since the launch of the Campaign.
Source: Opemsuo.com The newly constituted Board of Directors for Kumasi Asante Kotoko have resolved to avoid engagements with the media henceforth to solely focus on their duties as policy makers.On May 28, 2020, the Asantehene and Patron of Asante Kotoko, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, constituted a new 9-member Board of Directors for the club in a bid to transform the Porcupine warriors into a revered name in African football.Three more members were added to the board on June 29, 2020 bringing the tally to twelve.Speaking in an interview with Opemsuo fm in Kumasi, member of the newly constituted board of directors for the Kumasi based club, Kwadwo Boateng Genfi said the decision was as a result of a careful study of media operations in dealing with football related issues.“We have resolved to pull out from talking to the Media to restrict ourselves to the actual work that was given to us by Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II. The work will ultimately do the talking for us,” Boateng Genfi stated in an interview with Opemsuo fm.He also urged the club’s supporters to rally behind them as they put measures in place to ensure the betterment of the club.“We are going to build something substantial for the supporters, and we will definitely do it.”The Board of Directors yesterday visited the Club’s training grounds and Anane Boateng Sports Stadium for assessment.
Ghana still remains Africa’s highest ranked team as March edition of the Fifa/Coca-Cola World ranking released Wednesday reveals.Despite a thumping 4-1 win over Togo last month in an international friendly, the Black Stars dropped a significant 9 points to slip a place down on the overall ranking table to 16th.The Black Stars now have a 931 points and are the only side from the continent in the top 20.Ivory Coast still stay second with Egypt in third in the continental ranking.According to Fifa, a total of 55 friendly matches were taken into account for the March edition of the world rankings.Not many changes were recorded as world champions, Spain still leads the the overall standing followed by the Netherlands and Germany in third position. Source: Myjoyonline.com
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisAlpena, Mich.- Talk about talent! The first ever-downtown gingerbread competition has finally started and the creations will truly blow your mind. Now until December 22nd you have a chance to cast your vote for your favorite creation.There are 12 unique gingerbread creations at 12 different locations. Winners will be announced December 24th!AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Top Michigan Publisher, and Photographer, Richard P. Smith Visits AlpenaNext Hop on a trolley and look at the Christmas lights in town!